18 oz. Jackfruit (sweet) packed in syrup
10 fl. oz. Jackfruit syrup (from can of jackfruit)
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
¼ tsp. sea salt
- Place jackfruit, and 4 fluid ounces into a blender, blend for 2 minutes, looking for a semi smooth texture.
- Place puree into a sauce pot, along with the remaining 6 fluid ounces of syrup, lemon juice, and sea salt.
- Place sauce pot onto a low flame, stirring on occasion, so not to burn. Looking for the puree to thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat, place into cooler.
8 oz. ube (fresh or frozen grated)
7 fl. oz. coconut milk (full fat)
1.2 oz. butter
.75 oz. powder sugar
1 oz. coconut sugar
- Place all ingredients into a sauce pot.
- On a low flame, heat all ingredient, making sure to stir often.
- Cook on low heat for 20 minutes, or until mixture has thickened and potato is cooked— no longer has raw taste.
- Remove from heat, place mixture into a bowl, let cool in the cooler for about an hour.
Jackfruit & Ube Handpie
28 oz. Pastry dough (store bought or homemade)
4 ¼ oz. Ube mixture (see recipe above right)
5 oz. Jackfruit puree (see recipe above right)
1 Tbsp. Coconut sugar
1 Large egg
- Cut 24 dough circles using 3 ¼ inch cookie cutter.
- Place egg wash around edge of 12 circles.
- Place 1 Tbsp. of ube mixture and 1 Tbsp. of jackfruit puree in center of circle.
- Place a second pastry circle over ube/jackfruit mixture. Using your finger or fork, crimp the edges of pastry all the way around to seal the edges.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush on egg wash over the top of pastry.
- Sprinkle about 1/8 tsp. of coconut sugar over the top of the egg washed pastry.
- Bake in 350˚F convection oven for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Read this article and more like it in our quarterly newsletter, Tasteology!