1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup fresh milk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1 cup vegetable oil
5-6 pieces of plantain (saba) bananas,
ripe but firm, peeled and mashed
1 ½ cups of jackfruit (langka), diced
- In a bowl, sift together flour, ¼ cup of the sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, beat egg. Add milk, butter and whisk together until blended.
- Add flour mixture to milk mixture and stir until just moistened. Do not overmix!
- Mix the bananas and jackfruit in a separate bowl and combine with the batter mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan using moderate (medium) heat. Scoop up about two tablespoons of this mixture and gently drop into the hot oil. Slowly form the mixture into an uneven circle using the spoon.
- Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. Remove from pan and place on paper towels in a tray to drain excess oil.
- Repeat procedure with the rest of the ingredients. Use a fine mesh sieve to dust the fritters with the remaining sugar.
- To serve, fritters may be arranged on serving plate and a scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauce may added.
Read this article and more like it in our quarterly newsletter, Tasteology!