Our first recipe this month is Chicken Pozole Verde Soup. It’s a standard Mexican recipe and everyone has their own twist on it, our chefs included. We have been working on a green chili seasoning that really punches up this and many other dishes. Request a sample from your sales person and try this out!
2 ¾ tsp Green chili seasoning –NWF (sprinkled onto chicken before cooking and added into onions)
16 oz- Raw Chicken thighs (with 1 ½ tsp seasoning applied)
1 cup Spanish onion, small dice (sautéed)
2 tsp Olive oil
1 ¼ cups Tomatillo Verde Sauce (store bought or homemade)
32 oz Chicken broth
½ tsp Granulated garlic
1 ½ tsp Sea salt
½ tsp Guajillo pepper seasoning
¾ tsp Oregano (Mexican)
2 cups Hominy (whole)
½ cup Hominy (puree, add in ½ cup of chicken broth)
- Rub 1 ½ tsp of the green chili seasoning onto raw chicken. Place thighs in oven, (350 degrees), for about 15-20 mins. Remove from oven, even if chicken is not fully cooked. Any uncooked pieces will finish cooking in soup broth.
- Sautée onions in small pot with olive oil, until slightly brown. Add in the remaining 1 ¼ tsp of green chili seasoning, and tomatillo verde sauce. Stir well.
- Add into pot- chicken broth, garlic, sea salt, guajillo pepper, oregano, hominy, hominy puree. Stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add chopped chicken into pot with other ingredients. Stir well. Let simmer on Med/low flame for about 15 minutes. Check temperature of broth (want about 180 degrees). Chicken pieces should be cooked, but check before serving.
- Serve with pico de gallo, and fresh cilantro sprigs.
Read this article and more like it in our quarterly newsletter, Tasteology!