The blueberry sauce on this sausage cake provides the right acidity to brighten an otherwise traditionally heavy dish. The chefs here at Newly Weds Foods have fully explored sausage and ALL the ways to use it, as this recipe demonstrates.
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 lb pork sausage crumbles, browned
1 cup blueberries
¾ cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F convection.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add both sugars and mix to combine on medium speed.
4. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix well after each addition.
5. Add flour and sour cream in alternating batches.
6. Fold in Sausage crumbles and blueberries with a rubber spatula.
7. Pour batter into a greased 9”x13” pan. Sprinkle nuts on top.
8. Bake for 25 minutes.
9. Serve with warm blueberry sauce
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
2 cups blueberries
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup water
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp sea salt
1. Make slurry by combining 2 Tablespoons of water and 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix until smooth
2. Combine remaining five ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil.
3. Give slurry another stir until smooth, then add to the pot constantly stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
4. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
5. Serve on top the Blueberry sausage brunch cake.
Read this article and more like it in our quarterly newsletter, Tasteology!